Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Love-Hate Relationship with Ferries

Sometimes I find myself looking out my kitchen window and just staring. I know how tall the evergreens are, but they still astonish me.

There aren't many bridges between the Olympic Peninsula and the greater Seattle-Tacoma area. We take the ferry a lot. We carry around the ferry schedule, make lunch plans with Caitlin or DON'T make lunch plans based on whether we can make the ferry schedule work around doctor's appointments, kids' naps, and everything else that goes into a normal day. It took me only about two weeks to hate the ferry.

It took only a little longer to start falling in love with the peninsula. When I want to see Caitlin, I hate the ferry. but I love the distance that the ferries put between this wild place and civilization.

I've never gotten so close to birds and squirrels before. They seem to think I'm just another animal that belongs here. Mike tried to chase away a young deer standing about ten feet away, and it finally sauntered away, with the insolence of a teenager being ordered out of the mall. People talk about black bears, cougars, and coyotes, but I haven't seen any. I haven't even seen a raccoon.

Downtown Seattle is a little over an hour away, but here it is wild.


        

No comments:

Post a Comment